In 1879 some interested citizens started “Y” programs in Flint. On Decemer 16, 1913 the Kearsley Street building was opened. The total cost was $111,426. C.S. Mott was elected the first board president. It was the culmination of the most successful and greatest community efforts in the history of Flint. Greatest because never before was so much money raised in Flint for a single organization.
Camp Copneconic was purchased by C.S. Mott at $15,000 for 185 acres. In 1957 C.S. Mott would donate an additional 180 acres for Camp Copneconic. In 1928 Floyd A. Allen donated $25,000 to build Allen Lodge at Camp Copneconic, which is still used today by hundreds of groups as a meeting/activity area and dining hall. In 1959 the Flint YMCA raised $2,602,949 to build anew building at the current Downtown site. The 100,000 square foot facility was dedicated on January 21st, 1962. In 1968 a Health Center, a gift of Mr. And Mrs. William L. Richards, was constructed at Camp Copneconic. The next year a new waterfront was installed and extensive additions were made to the boating fleet – a gift of the Whiting Foundation.